Friday, March 4, 2011

Venezuelan Carlos Coste breaks freediving record



I can't believe I missed this back in December last year, an amazing video of Venezuelan free diver Carlos Coste breaking the Guinness World Record for freediving in an underwater tunnel network after swimming 150m through a sytem of caves in a Mexican cenote called Dos Ojos with just a monofin to propel him and a torch to light the way.

Coste, 34, has been diving competitively for 10 years and is a multiple record holder in freediving.

He can hold his breath underwater for an astonishing seven minutes but only needed two minutes and 30 seconds to cover the 150m that put him into the record books.

"I have been doing competitive diving for 10 years and this is by far the most bizarre run I have ever made. To achieve this is a dream come true for me. I have been interested in speleology since I was a little boy and to combine this with my profession as a freediver was amazing," he said after achieving the feat.

Coste made his record-breaking cave dive on 3 November 2010 and it was officially recognised by the Guiness Book of Records on 23 December 2010.

No comments: